Friday, September 12, 2008

Kree - Asthma + Bronchitus - what next??

My cough started acting up on Sunday morning 7 September (Father’s Day in NZ as well as Kanthan’s 9th year of sobriety). Later that day I had a sore throat and on Monday my neck was stiff and sore. By Tuesday, I was losing was voice, had a blocked nose, sneezing, nausea, no taste and smell – the works! On Wednesday my voice was really bad and every sentence I spoke required great effort. Yes, I was at school all three days – meetings, as usual, only left school 5pm Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday I made a doctor’s appointment (Kaveshan’s advice) for that afternoon – the earliest appointment was 3:45pm. By lunch break I knew I was too sick to come to school Thursday and Friday and emailed the DP. I pushed myself to cope until 2:30pm when school ends, hardly taking a break from teaching/talking all day. By that time my voice was just a squeak and my chest was tight, burning and sore, all the way up to my throat and neck. When I arrived at the surgery, my heart was racing and I was so out of breath that I couldn’t say my name out clearly. Luckily the nurse immediately picked up on the signs and quickly put me on a Ventolin nebulizer. It relieved me quite a bit but by now I was rather anxious – imagine battling to breathe – it feels like you’re dying!! I never realised what Asthmatic sufferers have to deal with, like my sister Julie. I myself have not been asthmatic – however this is the third time in three months that I have experienced severe coughing and wheezing. At my last consultation a month ago, the doctor gave me two inhalers to be used during the wintertime. I wasn’t aware that I was mildly asthmatic. The medication I was given from yesterdays consultation are: Bricanyl Turbuhaler; Pulmicort Turbuhaler; Prednisone; Co-trimoxazole (antibiotic). I really pray that these meds will work soon because my voice has not yet improved, and without a voice I cannot teach. If any of you are asthmatic or can offer advice, it would be a great help.

After 3 days of medication, there was little improvement and on Friday the nausea was worsening, aggravated by the cough, little improvement in my voice and my nose still blocked. Today, Saturday 13th September, I went to another doctor for fear that it could be my thyroid playing up or even pheumonia!! The doctor's diagnosis was Bronchitus as well as Asthma and he changed my antibiotic to Augmentin (which has worked well for me in the past). He also prescribed Otrivin nasal spray which cleared my nose with just one swirt and has so far released loads of phlegm. I have been put off work until Wednesday and need lots of rest. Thanks to all who have emailed and posted Facebook messages on my wall.

No comments: