Monday, November 12, 2007

Food for the Soul

November 13th
Remember that complete surrender alone makes us clear channels for the Supreme.

Since Thou hast given me refuge and taken me into Thy safe-keeping I have lost all fear.
My long night of anxious waking is forever ended.
I sit now with contentment in my heart; I walk with free spirit,
And I sleep with surrender in my soul.

We need Divine guidance from within. There are two wills, God's will and self-will; both are active. The foolish man chooses self-will; the wise man chooses God's will, because he does not feel safe to be separated from God and His guidance. This is wisdom, but this wisdom cannot be imposed. Life has its culmination when we learn to have a true sense of God as supreme Doer. When we acquire spiritual surrender, we rise above all troubles.

I am only an instrument in Thy Hands, O Lord;
Make me an efficient instrument.
Help me never to forget that Thou art behind me in every act.
Take from me all egotism and self-importance;
May I always be a humble instrument, wholly submissive to Thy Will.

[Swami Paramananda, Book of Daily Thoughts & Prayers, p. 352]

No comments: